Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Sharjah Book Fair



Tomorrow I'm going to Sharjah to visit the Sharjah International Book Fair 2009 that's been held at Expo center, it's really exciting to be among such WIDE varieties of books. I'll post some pictures of my visit.

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please do! If its a decent fair I might make the trip!

Al-ain Rose said...

Anti Sharjah ppl can't get an admission. :P

Firefox said...

LOL. Poor ABIT knows all about SHJ traffic thanks to me! I toughened him up!

Tell us what you got, Rose.

Last time I went to the fair, I was about 15 and bought Archies.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! That was mean AAR.

I am not anti sharjah. Sadly I have sharjari family, both my distant blood and immediate marriage.

I'm not Anti Sharjah. Im pro Abu Dhabi. And if that means genocide in the northern emirates... so be it! Muahahahahahahaha!

Al-ain Rose said...

Hey FF, I did get only 2 books. I'll tell u in the next post why I didn't have musch time to brows for more books.
Abit, you say ur not anti sharjah then you go on to say SADLY you have a sharjawi family? come on, YOU are sharjawi yourself. admit it.
Sharjah is quiet and peacful and it reminds me of al-ain alot.
Have you been to Al-ain btw? you would fall in love with it, trust me.

rosh said...

Rose, I hope you smiled whilst in SHJ :)

"Sharjah is quiet and peacful and it reminds me of al-ain alot. "

Oh! I'm sooooo happy to read this! A huge monstrous Shukran Rose!! I'm sure ABIT is a Sharjawi (in denial) LOL :)

Anonymous said...

I am not. We have family there, sure. We also have family in Al Ain and Dubai.

SADLY, VERY SADLY, when those bastards needed wives they came knocking on our doors and our fathers and uncles said ok. I, would have slammed the door in their faces.

AAR, The last time I was in Al Ain was ages ago. It was for a wedding, and I found out that your roads suck, your mall sucks, your KFC sucks, and your roundabouts arent even round!

I am very very happy in Abu Dhabi and believing (in my mind) that it's a city state! Ignorance (or denial) is bliss!

rosh said...

"Ignorance (or denial) is bliss!"

So is cocaine, I'm told :)

AUH has its charm. So does SHJ, The Garden city and all other Emirates. I think the soulful part of SHJ lies at Khorfakkan / Dibba Al Hisn, it's beautiful. OK, I've to go out for dinner -- meeting with some bigwigs at Ford's Global HQ, and they want me to tell them about this "country" called Dubai. I can't wait, to talk about everything else, but Dubai. BTW Dearborn (burb of Detroit) has significant Arab population. Unlike NYC, there's good Arab food and yummy shwarmahs, it has been a while.

Anonymous said...

Dearborn might as well be little Jordan. Yes, we were amazed, shop signs are in Arabic, HALAL signs at McDonalds, guys running around in Jilbabs, women in hijabs... It was very very strange to see in the US.

GO kill them! Please remind them that they make only TWO cars today that anyone sane would buy. The GT500, and the F-150 that is co branded with Harley Davidson.

As for coke being blissful... I'm reading Nikki Six's autobiography... and it just doesnt seem that way.

Al-ain Rose said...

and I found out that your roads suck, your mall sucks, your KFC sucks, and your roundabouts arent even round!
...
Abit, CHABB! Al-ain is the MOST beautiful city in the UAE, whether you like it or not. IT IS! Yes we do have round-about every 10 meters, but the city is GREEN, refreshing, relaxing, charming and its roads are realy realy cleaner & more organized than what you have in AD, and our malls DO NOT suck, I just got back from Bawadi mall, it's woooow!! come and see your self.

WHATEVER YOU SAY 'sharjaWi in denial' ABOUT AL-AIN I DO LOVE MY LOVELY CITY AND I CAN'T IMAGINE MYSELF LIVING SOMEWHERE ELSE IN UAE, AND IF (GOD FORBID) I HAD HAD TO, IT WOULD BE SHARJAH!! *STICKING TONGUEAT ABIT*

Al-ain Rose said...

Oh! I'm sooooo happy to read this! A huge monstrous Shukran Rose!! I'm sure ABIT is a Sharjawi (in denial) LOL :)

...

Welcome welcome rosh, any time :P ... yes he's a sharjawi in denial, I'm gonna call him so from now on.

Al-ain Rose said...

Rose, I hope you smiled whilst in SHJ :)
...
Yes I enjoyed my time there :) ... telling that makes you more homesick, rosh?

rosh said...

True, ABIT, lots signage in Arabic, good FOOD, people are REALLY nice. Yes in a way it's indeed strange seeing the jilbabs & hijabs. I have not sensed any of that nonsensical friction we see in the media. People see each other as people, and relate.

Rose, hands down, Al Ain & Fujairah (given its natural beauty / weather / mountains) are the most beautiful places in the UAE. It's not even a contest.

Al-ain Rose said...

It's Chubb** not Chabb :P

Al-ain Rose said...

Hi rosh I'm online too..lol

rosh said...

Actually Liwa is beautiful too... come to think of it, they are all beautiful.

rosh said...

Oh hello from Detroit, Rose haha!

rosh said...

May I say, one of the most serene times to explore and 'feel' SHJ is Friday mornings. There's an old bakery in SHJ's Al Wahda Street. As kids, dad would often take us there for yummy, but rather simple, fruit cakes, patties and stuff on Friday mornings. Every year when I in town for the holidays, I drive around SHJ on Friday mornings. There's no traffic, there are so few people out and about, and I can sense the ol' days, I can sense being back with the city, the way it was. That's when I see the fragile peace & beauty in SHJ. Refreshing.

Al-ain Rose said...

one of the most serene times to explore and 'feel' SHJ is Friday mornings.

Same thing here in Al-ain... & Sat mornings as well. that's why I prefer this time of day to shop.

In the Next visit to Sharjah I'm gonna look for that bakery if it still exists & snap a pic & send it to you .. wanna make you cry ... bad me

rosh said...

Here's a post I wrote 2 years ago.
http://blog-uaeian.blogspot.com/2007/10/golden-memoirs.html

Al-ain Rose said...

interesting post, rosh.
Will you be here on the coming Christmas holiday? you will right?

rosh said...

Thanks Rose and yup! I bought tickets back in late August hahaha!

Al-ain Rose said...

Nice (:

Firefox said...

*butts in*

I dislike Sharjah intensely. I can say that having lived there for quite some time.

I do miss the cheaper rates at hair salons.

And I wouldn't want to live in Al Ain (no offence) but I'll tell you what...I really miss Jebel Hafeet. I just love nature.

Al-ain Rose said...

Guyz.I think it depends on what you are accustomed to.. If you are accustomed to such a busy life style like in Dubai where lots of things to do, then you won't be much into cities such as Al-ain & SHJ. & vice versa. Peacful & clam (not dull) places is what I prefer. That's all.

rosh said...

*sniff! FF, so, where'd ya live in SHJ? True ya Rose, it's the towns we live / grow up most of us relate to and are comfortable at. And for sure Al Ain / SHJ are NOT dull cowtowns. I used to feel Ruwi, Muscat was dull -- but cousins, born / raised in Muscat think its the bomb of all places to live. I guess each place has its beauty.

Anonymous said...

You are all clinically insane if you even think Al Ain or Sharjah are even cities. They are towns at best. Bad ones at that.

YALLA MINAK! *points towards lesser places* stay there.

Rosh, even in a place devoid of middle easterners like Arisona, there was hardly any friction. Most people have enough on their plates with their own daily lives to worry about me or him or them.

Al-ain Rose said...

Now you really need to be smacked on your head.Grr

BuJ said...

I went there and bought a few books.. one about jews in iraq before israel..

i thought it was an excellent book fair. hope u enjoyed it!

BuJ said...

btw, i went to al ain for eid.. and i confirm, it has to be the most beautiful city in the united arab emirates.

Al-ain Rose said...

Thanks Buj, it's not because I'm Enawi, but it's the most beautifle and green indeed.

"I went there and bought a few books".
Yet we missed another chance to meet :P

I got "body language for dummies" and "cambridge idioms dictionary". Oh I forgat to post the pictures!

BuJ said...

this is freaky!!! but i was considering buying "body language for dummies"... oh my Allah!

Al-ain Rose said...

One day... when I finish reading it....one day...I'll mail it to you, you can keep it, but when I'm done..one day..

BuJ said...

i'll only accept it if it has a written dedication :-)

Al-ain Rose said...

A written dedication that has been already begged for. lol

I promise, there will be a dedication, a unique one... but...one day...when I finish reading the the whole 300 and so pages lol

Post a Comment

What you write reflects who you are, simply.