Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Healthy breakfast food

I was doing a google search on some types of healthy food for beakfast, I got these results:


1. Cereal.
2. Eggs.
3. Oats.
3. Whole Grain Toast.
4. Smoked Fish.
5. Fruit Smoothie.
6. Protein Shake
7. Muffins
8. Baked Beans

Smoked fish at 7 AM!!!!!!!!!!!
Ew

23 comments:

Emiratesque said...

1. Cereal.

This is usually my breakfast. My favorite is Kellog's Special K with red berries.

I can go for hours without any meal after that breakfast.

During weekends however it's back to Emarati breakfast; Khmeer bread, Balalee6, Khabees, and all the other heart stopping dishes..

Emiratesque said...

By the way, we have people who have Herees for breakfast :)

rosh said...

Rose, smoked salmon with cream (or goat) cheese on a wheat bagel or bread is delicious! Top up with a tinge of wasabi and slice of tomato. MUST try kid, you'd like it.

El ..:) I love Harees anytime of the day. It's 'feels' just fine for breakfast (in moderation, of course) or dinner IMHO. Man, I could use a bowl just about now.

Al-ain Rose said...

El Shahlab, haram on you, you're torturing rosh by mentioning Harees and hot homemade stuff.stop it.

rosh, come back home and be my neighbour in Al ain and mom absolutely won't mind cooking you Harees for breakfast everyday!

1. Cereal.

This is usually my breakfast. My favorite is Kellog's Special K with red berries


I don't consider cereals a healthy type of food, as they are promoted to be.

During the weekdays at work, I usually have banana for breakfast, sometimes carrots, cheese sandwich (I don't feel good when I eat it though). I want to look for new as well as healthy recipes for breakfast that's why I did a search and actually I got shocked to find that there are those who have fish as breakfast meal.Ew

Rosh, the fish recipe you described may be good for a lunch, maybe a dinner, but it's impposible for me to have fish in the morning. I would throw it up.Plus I like to have fish the traditional way, mixed with lemon and spice without bread or any type of creams.


By the way, we have people who have Herees for breakfast :)

We are one of those, we mostly have it in the morning.Is it strange to have it for breakfast? I think it's originally a breakfast meal, isn't it? I love to have Harees in the morning with a cup of milk tea, it's a YUMMY combination!

Oh and, I dislike Balaleeee6. lol

BuJ said...

i love harees and smoked fish, not together though
but why is muffins healthy? it's sugar and butter.

Al-ain Rose said...

but why is muffins healthy? it's sugar and butter

I think I shouldn't trust this site anymore lol. Fish as a breakfast and Muffins are healthy.

rosh said...

Rose, that is very large hearted of you & the lovely folks in Al Ain. Harees I think is a good 'filler' for breakfast or brunch. I'm usually most hungry in the mornings -- almost never have time for lunch. When I lived in the UAE, every and then, mom would pack some Harees (she made it somewhat different to the local moms -- she has her Martha adventures with food) Anyway, I found it filling, not gluttony -- and hardly thinking about food at lunch time. Plus in the SHJ-DXB morning rush hour madness, there was plenty of time to calmly enjoy the breakfast, coffee, AND have the energy to keep going. I miss those days. In NYC, most folks have oatmeal with fruits for breakfast. For some reason, I cannot stand the smell of oatmeal, it’s nauseating (sorry). Coffee is a MUST have. However, I'd stick with 2 slices of brown bread (a) an omelette with egg whites & vegetables or (b) thinly sliced SMOKED salmon, cream cheese -- and slices of tomato. Healthy stuff and low on the calories. I agree, it takes some getting used to :)

To be honest, milk & cereals, I stay away. I have no idea why they are promoted as 'healthy' morning must haves. Likewise a muffin -- it's like a billion calories and feels somewhat tacky snacky..

Al-ain Rose said...

I cannot stand the smell of oatmeal, it’s nauseating.

It doesn't have that unpleasant smell rosh. It's very delisious, nutritious when cooked with milk and honey,& rich in vitamin B, so it's good for the heart.

Borders said...

Try the Turkish breakfast. I dont know if its healthy but I cant live without it and cant replace it with anything else. Cheese, butter, black olives (with olive oil, red pepper and oregano on top or plain), stuffed green olives, jam, honey, salami, eggs, tomatoes, cubanelle pepper, cucumbers, lots of bread and black tea :) We eat as much as we can at the breakfast, believing that we have all day to burn the calories :)

Al-ain Rose said...

borders, we have this combination usually for a dinner! It's surely healthy if we take out the butter I think. I like black olives, not only is it tasty, it also lowers the bad colestrol level in blood if you eat it on a regular basis.

My sister-who's obsessed with the Turkish culture-enjoy searching for Turkish recipes and applies them in kitchen, not as much as her search for "Turkish dance" though! lol

ThAt's hOw I RolL said...

Oh and, I dislike Balaleeee6. lol

same here....stupid cook ..topped with egg too :D

harees...I'm big on harees, chicken hrees only. la7m no

Borders said...

Oh, then whats typical Emirati breakfast is like?

Your sister can browse recipes from www.turkishcookbook.com its one of my favorites.

Al-ain Rose said...

Some examples of the soul Emirati breakfast have been mentioned above by El Shahlab. A big part of our breakfast meals consist of bread actually, different types of it, made by different ways.

Here are some examples:

1.Mnazagh bread: It's a crispy & thin type of bread, in the morning it can be served with omelete, honey, or cheese. Also it's mixed with broth, and the resulting blend is called 'Threed'.

Picture: http://w9faat.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/img_0309.jpg


2.Rgag bread: similar to Mnazagh but it is more tender, it looks like Rgag but it's not crispy. It's served with the same materials of the Mnazagh bread.

Picture: http://www.qatargallery.com/arabic/data/media/248/IMG_521666666y.jpg

3.Khmeer bread: It's rounded yest bread.

Picture: http://www.majaless.com/up/uploads/48aebef011.jpg

3.Chebab: The Emirati Pancake, to cut the long story short lol

Picture: http://mm11ss.jeeran.com/13.JPG

4.Mahalla: Similar to chebab but it's thiner, Zahfaran's added to the dough. We mainly have it with honey or you can have it without any addition & it's still delicious.

http://img61.imageshack.us/i/59gp.jpg/

5.Balaleet: It's vermecilli with omelete on the top.

Picture: http://store1.up-00.com/xbfiles/IVF11191.jpg

6.Khbeesa: it's flour crumbs blended with sugar.

Picture: http://www.qatargallery.com/arabic/data/media/176/DSC_0004dcopy.jpg

7. Harees: mainly wheat and meat mixd and cooked with each others.

Picure: http://www.ptitchef.com/upload_data/feed_data_img/254625_1M.jpg

I think you would love this wordpress page:

http://emiraticankitchen.wordpress.com/

Neglect the -ican part of the site (American I mean) :P


Well we don't necessarily have to cook these dishes for a breakfast meal, in fact these types of food are rarely cooked daily for breakfast (except maybe for the 1st & 2nd ones, Mnazagh and Rgagh bread). People prefer to have fast and small meals for breakfast before heading to work, ya'ani you can say some of these dishes are cooked on occasion, not everyday.

I Hope I gave a good answer for your question, borders. :)

Thanks for the wonderful cooking site btw.

I need to show you my cooking skilles guyz, one day :D

Al-ain Rose said...

SOrry
Ya'ani = it means. It's an Arabic filler word. I use it A LOT when I speak and also when I write.

Don't think it's a type of traditional dish :P

Borders said...

Thank you very much for the info Rose! I love bread, so Im impressed with the different types of bread that Emirati cuisine has! I will definetly try some recipes from the website you gave me, they look delicious. Im sure my husband would be impressed :) Last week I tried Khbeesa in sharjah and I loved it! I was trying to remember its name.

By the way, "ya'ani" is one of the words we stole from Arabic and it has the same meaning. I use it a lot especially when Im talking to Arabs :D

BuJ said...

oooooh, do i sense a 3azeeema in al-ain?

"I need to show you my cooking skilles guyz, one day :D "

can't wait to taste your food, especially harees and some kinda thareed would be nice, ya3ni hahaha

i'm serious.. i LOVE emarati food and can't get enough of it! i REALLY missed it during the late 90s and later when i was stationed in cold cold england.

Al-ain Rose said...

So you are already familiar with the word, nice :))

Last week I tried Khbeesa in sharjah and I loved it!

GOOD! You encorage me to enter the kitchen one day :D

Good luck in your cook borders, hope you could impress your husband with it :).I think It would be nice if you take pics and make ablog entry about the results you get, wouldn't it?

Al-ain Rose said...

Buj, it's a 3azeema, you are invited :P

can't wait to taste your food, especially harees and some kinda thareed

Hreees & Threed marah w7dah!!! Don't be so optimistic like this Buj, especially as to my cooking skills. LOL.

I will show you some of my 'attempts' when I have the time for that.

Al-ain Rose said...

same here....stupid cook ..topped with egg too :D
...
My nephews mix it with honey!! when I looked disgusted they asked me to try it then I can judge, it turns out to be delisious!! The lil devils were right!

BuJ said...

Rose, please please take pics of ur culinary creations and share with us.. but i expect a proper 3zooma.. and i'm coming to al-ain specifically for that.. we'll fix a place so u don't have to mingle with men.. but i'll even come by motorbike for FOOD! home cooked FOOD!

yummmy

until then, pics pls :) for us all!

Borders said...

Good luck in your cook borders, hope you could impress your husband with it :).I think It would be nice if you take pics and make ablog entry about the results you get, wouldn't it?

I might do that actually. I'll let you know when I try them. I never cook Arabic food so that my husband cant compare my food to his mothers! And when I cook Turkish, he just eats it and thinks it great :) Im glad he has nothing to compare it, haha :) The other day he was whining about basmati rice, telling me he missed it (oh, its only been one week since we didnt visit his mother!!) maybe I can enter the competition, who knows it might turn out better than his mom's! It seems that he is not that familiar with the Emirati cusinie either, so it’d be ok if I ruined it :)

And believe me Rose, just a year ago I sucked at cooking! I used to cook when I was in the uni, but the shape or taste didnt matter, so it was all ok. And no one would say “oh, macaroni again?”. I decided to take it seriously when my mother in law started sending us food every day, it was very annoying! Practice makes perfect, now I cook every day and its getting better every time. I wouldnt even touch a raw chicken or meat but now its just every day routine! I take food to my mother in law’s house when I visit and she hates it when my brother in laws just love my food :)

Al-ain Rose said...

Oh Borders, that's the problem of most Arab husbannds; they compare their wives' cooking skills to their moms.

It's true that most women start learning cooking after marriege, when you have to. But, even if I got married, I don't think I would have to cook, really it isn't a job O_o

lol, it's kinda funny that you avoid cooking Arabic food just so that you avoid the comparison your hubby would made.Don't worry I guess he just teases you.


I decided to take it seriously when my mother in law started sending us food every day, it was very annoying!

Why!! I wouldn't say NO! If I were you. LOL

I wouldnt even touch a raw chicken or meat but now its just every day routine!

I undesrtand you. Girls are just like queens at their families houses, by getting married you get new responsibilties and you lose many advantages you used to enjoy as a girl in your dady's house.But I think this is the life.

I take food to my mother in law’s house when I visit and she hates it when my brother in laws just love my food :)

Haha, what would she do if your husband praised your cook infront of her? Mom-in-lows!!


Ok, Borders, I promise when I have the time I will cook and take pictures and blog about it, you know I'm working, and when I get back home I want just to sleep. No time as well as no mood for cooking!

Al-ain Rose said...

Buj, LOL!

Before attending al 3azeema, you gotta SIGN first that I won't be responsible of any type of damage my food would pose in your bodies haha.

Plus you should be reasonable and not so ambitious like this Buj, you shouldn't ask me to cook difficult dishes like Harees and Threed from the first try, have some mercy lol

Post a Comment

What you write reflects who you are, simply.