Pages

Monday, May 25, 2009

College Reflections - Part 2


The first year at college:


The first year at college was the easiest actually as we only have to take the general requirements like English courses, math, IT and the likes, so I was still acting like a mean high school gal....I mean, just few months back I was at the high school, lol, I still didn't get used to the campus life. However, as newbie, I just felt difference and responsible suddenly, it's totally a new life, so different than the high school, you suddenly feel that you became an adult, you have to depend on your self totally in everything, & take responsibility of ur self. it's a thing that all of ya experienced & you know what it feels like.
But if you would ask me what was the sweetest thing you had in that year, I would tell you it was my American Teacher (58 year-old, tall like skyscraper and fat like a balloon), Mr.Raymond ( we used to call him Ray, also he so resembles the man on Kentucky slagon), a very kind sir, he had a great sense of humor, a comedian guy, no one could help laughing during his class, it was like a relieving class for all of us, he used to talk about his wife and ex ironicaly " yeah, I married two women, one's chimpanzee and the other is fat", his wife was a also a teacher in the same department, so I asked him which one is the chimpanzee and which one is the fat so I can tell his wife about what he said , he was like" Oh, plz, ur so bad!!"^^. Anyway, I also remember when he asked us to stop including Arabic words while speaking English, like "Zain" "Inzain" "wallah" "bass", lol, cuz sometimes we use them, like " Inzain, what are we gonna talk about today?" " sir, walla I don't understand what you are talking about!!! "
And of course he understood the meaning of them since he's living here, but didn't want us to say them since not all native speakers know what they exactly mean, he was like.... " stop saying, ZAIN, INZAIN, WALLA cuz natives would not be able to understand you!!!" that was funny, Btw, Zain means Good, Inzain means okay, bass means but, and wallah means "I swear", despite their actual meanings, they also can be used as conjunctions, so it just depends on the context. Oneday he asked me about the meaning of the (Emaratie) word "Khayes, or" '7ayes" in English, I told him it means, GOOD, if you are Khayes, then it means that you are GOOD, but the word in fact means "dirty", if a person is Khayes, he's a bad and dirty ethically. Anyway, Mr.Raymond was the first American I'd ever met, infact he changed my opinion about Americans, I had a cynical view about Americans.
I met with him by chance after one year since I passed that course with him, I got shocked when I saw him, he lost much weight, he also asked me about my new teachers, I said they couldn't be funny like you! He replied, '' you're gonna get me swelled head saying that" I replied "it's okay ", then he smiled.
Sometime later, I heard from one of my friends that he had a heart attack and fortunately he recovered,I then realized why he got so thiner, she also mentioned to me that she visited him during his stay at the hospital , she brought him a bouquet that has some attached pics of the Indian actress, Ishwaria Rai, she's his fav actress!

Hoe you are fine now and in a good health fat ray!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What you write reflects who you are, simply.