Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I'm shaking

I almost peed myself. Have you felt the earthquake??? It's slight. We felt it here in Al Ain. I was sitting on the couch with my laptop. The couch was shaking. The house was shaking for almost 4-5 seconds, I got scared to death. The first time I experienced this. I ran downstares with my sisters. What's funny was my sister asked me to cover up my self, I was in tank top, so if there'd be another quake and we'd die, we die decent. looooooooollllll ...we are not used to this. First time.

My heart goes out to ppl in Pakistan. 7.4 magnitude! Destroying! :(

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank God you're fine. I'm not surprised to see the quake remnants felt in the UAE. After all the UAE, northern Oman lie on a fault that caused the Bam Eartquake in Iran. God bless us and protect us. I only experienced an earthquake once, in Cairo, and I hope I don't go through it again. It was funny when my aunt said, "why didn't you wake me up!" then I said "what difference will that do?" She replies "I would've screamed and went back to sleep, its been long since we I screamed!". XD Humor is the best medicine I guess :D

Borders said...

Oh, I feel so lucky that I havent felt it!! I still couldnt overcome 2 major earthquakes (7.2 and 7.4 and months long aftershocks!) we went thru back home in 1999, I tremble even thinking about it.

I was in the bathroom last night during the quake and when I got out my husband told me that he felt an earthquake and it was quite "strong". I thought he was just too tired.

God help those people in Pakistan, imagine how it was for them.

With all skyscapers and tall buildings here I hope UAE never experience a major quake. I guess they are taking the possibility of an eathquake when building those?

Borders said...

BTW Rose, I remember a lot of people just walked out with only underware etc as it happened in August when hot and at 3am. You dont really think straight if it hits too hard. Better to be cautious, earthquake-proof the house, know where to hide safely during the shake and have a bag of foodies close by just in case :)

rosh said...

I didn't even know about this? I just called my brother in SHJ, and he goes - "huh?"

I have never experienced an earthquake. I hope, I never had to. God protected the land we love.

Take care Rose.

Al-ain Rose said...

True Faisal, humor is the best part. I was late for work today 'cause I & my sisters spent the whole night yesterday laughing and mocking one another's reaction. I didn't scream, during the short tremor, I was trying to figure out what was going on, what was that, don't laugh, I even told my sister "the others" were playing with us maybe. lol

Borders, mom also thought I was bullshiting and asked me to go back to sleep, lol. She was downstairs, all who were downstairs didn't feel the tremor, it was felt more on higher floors.

I guess they are taking the possibility of an eathquake when building those?

I'm concerned. I don't think preventive measures of any possible natural disaters are taken into consideration in constructions/buildings here, which is scarry considering the global climate changes the world undergoes. I don't think we are ready for a flood for example, God forbid, buildings are not constructed to tolerate heavy rains. The roofs leaks by the agverage rainfull in the area.

Al-ain Rose said...

rosh, the tremor happened at 11:30, it was felt all over the UAE from Al Fujairah tooooo AD, it was stronger in Al Fujairah, according to some freinds. Your brother was either sleeping or downstairs. It wasn't too strong to wake someone up..at least on the second floor.

The funny thing is no news about this on our local TV. I dunno why..

Shukrans lovely,.

Al-ain Rose said...

BTW, no mortality in Pakistan! I'm happy for them. I think there were nothing for the quake to destroy after the horrible flood hit months ago.

Unknown said...

FYI, All the building in Dubai (post 2005) are build to withstand a shock of up to 7.2 magnitude. Best example, Burj Khalifa. I hope that the strength of those buildings never gets tested.

God protect all the lands that we dwell on.

Al-ain Rose said...

good news

Anonymous said...

WOW! Excitement! Glad you are OK and it was only small where you are!

Al-ain Rose said...

thanks leanne <3

Post a Comment

What you write reflects who you are, simply.