Pages

Friday, July 17, 2009

Dear UAE censorship, wake up!

Photobucket

Did I just say censorship?! like seriously, do we really have a "censorship"?! I doubt it.
Some offensive T-shirts were found in Harvey Nichols's store in Dubai, I saw a picture of the T-shirt, it was for a Bulldog (I hate this kind of dogs!) stepping on the UAE flag!! Yet the store is here, in Dubai, in UAE! Wow!!
Whose mistake is this? The store blamed it on the supplier and gave some petty excuses, regardless of how mean those suppliers are for doing such thing; no one can deny that it's the censorship mistake in the first place, the censorship here seems to be in a long hibernation, & I wonder how long this will last.
It isn't the first time to have such merchandise in our stores and it won't be the last, they aren't oversights cuz the oversight may be repeated for once, twice, Let's say 10 times as maximum!! But come on, not always!
Once, I was at a store that specialized in selling the Chinese products only, I was wandering in the toys section; I found a watch-like toy that show a picture of naked man and woman with hearts printed on their sexual organs! I called my elder sis and showed her the toy, I was like: look, it's supposed to be kids' toy! like seriously, where's the censorship from such toy?! I didn't want to take a snap of the toy and send it to one of the local papers as some people do, cuz I knew it would be just a waste of time.
And the story goes on, from dangerous or immoral kids' toys to drugs sold in groceries to anti-Islam cloths, and now, the country flag's under a filthy animal's feet on a t-shirt. Great.
Abdullla Ismael, a presenter in Nour Dubai channel, discussed the issue in his program, Yo3tamad, he has a strong feeling about what happened, and he was like, if the censorship doesn't have enough employees, we are ready to volunteer, and all UAE people are ready to participate, lol! He was being sarcastic, 'cause seriously they get on the nerves cuz of these endless censorship stories we hear on a daily base.
Emiraties have organized a campaign on Facebook and Twitter to boycott Harvey Nichols in response to that, I appreciate it, but hey, look deeply enough, we don’t really need to boycott Harvey Nichols, we need a conscious censorship to keep such stories from going on, the authorities must do something about it, boycotting the store will not resolve the problem; I think it's time for the censorship to wake up from their long-lasting nap, and find a radical solution to the endless censorship "oversights".

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What you write reflects who you are, simply.