Pages

Monday, July 27, 2009

If You Forget Me

Photobucket


I want you to know
one thing.

You know how this is:
if I look
at the crystal moon, at the red branch
of the slow autumn at my window,
if I touch
near the fire
the impalpable ash
or the wrinkled body of the log,
everything carries me to you,
as if everything that exists,
aromas, light, metals,
were little boats
that sail
toward those isles of yours that wait for me.

Well, now,
if little by little you stop loving me
I shall stop loving you little by little.

If suddenly
you forget me
do not look for me,
for I shall already have forgotten you.

If you think it long and mad,
the wind of banners
that passes through my life,
and you decide
to leave me at the shore
of the heart where I have roots,
remember
that on that day,
at that hour,
I shall lift my arms
and my roots will set off
to seek another land.

But
if each day,
each hour,
you feel that you are destined for me
with implacable sweetness,
if each day a flower
climbs up to your lips to seek me,
ah my love, ah my own,
in me all that fire is repeated,
in me nothing is extinguished or forgotten,
my love feeds on your love, beloved,
and as long as you live it will be in your arms
without leaving mine.

Pablo Neruda,(1904-1973)


I've come across this warm piece somewhere and I got touched by it, now I have it in my blog so that I can enjoy it each time I open my page.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow wonderful piece! I like it :]
~Bedouin Matthew.

Al-ain Rose said...

Ya welcome oxymoron, sure it's wondeful, it's my poetic tast!! I'm not a poem fan though, but again this one is really different, it's damn warm! but I insist on that I'm not at all a poems fan.

BuJ said...

beautiful poem.. i once saw an italian movie about Neruda.. he's a fantastic man.. i think it's called The Postman (il postino) in italian.. set in a southern italian island. gorgeous. obviously he was kicked out of his home (argentina?) coz of politics and sought aslyum in italy where he became even more of a celebrity

one of my friends gave me a book of his poems as a goodbye gift.. so sweet.

why do u call anons as oxymorons?

Al-ain Rose said...

actually I know nothing about the poet, I just came across his peice and I liked it. but have no idea who he is or where he ued to live.

I call him oxymoron cuz of his nickname, Mathew and bedioun are just oxymoron. Bedioun Hamad is not. am I right?

BuJ said...

well you need to look up that movie. i am sure you can download a torrent or something.. it's amazing beyond words.. if u liked the poem u will love the movie.. it's a proper movie with story, not like current hollywood or arab movies.. ya3ni it's not all action or sex or whatever.

proper story line :)

actually matthew and beduin are not oxymorons per se, but maybe you can use the word "incongruent" as it's more apt for what you mean. but i follow you completely. an oxymoron would be for opposites like "intelligent nonsense" or "bright darkness", but mathew is not a direct opposite of beduins, although if a beduin woman named her boy mathew she would be probably considered jaaniya! haha

try this for the movie :)

http://www.mininova.org/tor/2471069

BuJ said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Il_Postino

Al-ain Rose said...

hey bu jassem, I just noticed ur reply, thanks aot, but I have a q, is it safe to download the movie from that site?

BuJ said...

yeah of course it's safe.. i download loads of things from that site. but it's peer to peer downloading, and as thus it's not 100% safe, but perhaps 98% safe.. anyway i never knew anyone getting hacked from torrents. but it's your call.. i downloaded almost my entire collection from that website with no probs, but i have a mac.

enjoy.

Post a Comment

What you write reflects who you are, simply.