Why on earth am I willing to learn cooking?
Well, it's NOT 'cos:
1. It serves me when no one around to cook for me, otherwise, I would die of hunger.
2. Nor it's a good way to keep a man if you are married, since the common perception among Arab women is that "the easiest way to the man's heart is through his stomach" or, like, "full his tummy, and close his mouth".
3. or Cooking is a good exercise to burn some calories.
The reasons above that are supposed to persuade people (especially women) to learn cooking are not convincing enough for me 'cos:
1. The tons of Indomi noodels bags inside our kitchen's cabinets can perfectly serve me when no one is around to cook for me, all what I have to do is to empty the Indomi's content into boiling water, wait for 5 min, then it's ready to eat, easy peasy, & in case we run out of Indomi nooels, I can order, if I run out of money I can steal from mom (just being humorous, don't believe), at WORST, I would phone our neighbor and ask him to do the gentlemanly thing, he's a good cook. So I won't die if there is no one around to cook for me, no one die 'cos they are not good cooks, I've not heard of something like this ever beofre.
2. It's DEFINITELY not the easiest way to the man's HEART, it's an old fashion to think this way, HELL it doesn't work now in the age of Haifa whibi and Paris Hilton! Sorry, I won't spend my time among kitchen's aromas cooking for prince charming while he keeps drooling over Haifa & Paris each time they show up on TV or a magazine, just hearing Haifa's sexy chuckle or watching Paris batting her curved eyelashes would be enough to make him forget the way to the kitchen, I'd better learn how to imitate Haifa's laugh or how Paris bats her lashes to win him over instead of working on being the super talented cook for him as it's supposed to be the easiest way. Perhaps they can manage their stomachs, but I'm not sure about their lusts, I mean they don't look for a chief to share their lives with, miss perfect shouldn't be the perfect cook… just a thought….
3. Kitchen VS Gym? Stupid comparison, being in the kitchen is not as enjoyable & effective as when exercising at the GYM. The kitchen sink job isn't as effective as swimming in a pool. I would prefer the later than swimming in my own sweat in the kitchen.
Being in the holy month; it's a good opportunity to learn how to cook some recipes, not the complicated ones though, ya3ni I won't start with for example, Harees or Baryani, especially Harees, it needs a skill, if you can cook it, then you sure are able to make any recipe perfectly & easily. SO, I had better start with a recipe that's not so complicated, not long, & effortless (tea :P). I have been browsing the 6 cookbooks we have in our kitchen; but I couldn't find the recipe that suits me, perhaps I could search the cooking web sites for more recipes. Also, I so would love to learn making the meat balls (Kebba), I fancy it, our Syrian friends are no longer around, they took a leave to England. And since then, I have not had their yummy meat balls, and what we order from restaurants & the ready frozen balls aren't as delicious. On the other hand, they so miss our Arabic coffee we make, they love it and mom used always to make 2 coffee thermal pitcher, one keep it at home, and send the other to them, always and every morning for 6 years until they decided to leave. Miss them and their Kubba (Or Kebba?), I pronounce it Kubba, lol.
The last time I entered the kitchen for cooking purpose was in last Ramadan, I made a salad that contains Tuna & toasts cubes mixed with lettuce & capsicum chopped into tiny pieces, to be perfectly honest with you, it looked pretty GROSS, and no one ventured to try even a spoonful, and unfortunately my dish ended up being in the trash can, so only the trash can accepted to swallow what I mad. perhaps it's cos of the Tuna's type I used; it wasn’t the good type so it gave a bad flavor to the salad, or maybe I replaced one ingredients with the wrong one, I dunno, something went wrong, I follow the procedures word by word, maybe it's just what's called "Al-Nafass" that my sis always accuses me of not having it when I happen to cook, "AL-Nafass", I don't have an English word that could properly describes this word, but I can explain it, it's when 2 people, cook the same recipe, have the same ingredients, the same measurements, and follow EXACTLY the same steps, and yet get different results, and their cook have different flavor, that's called "Al-Nafass", the person who's got "AL-Nafass" quality, his cooks are always yummy in a unique way.. even if you follow the same steps and procedures, you'll not be able to get the same result if you luck of Al nafas ;), and this Al-nafas thingy is on the top of my list of the impossible things that I can never get in my life. Anywayz, I was holding my big dish looking at them pleadingly, I begged them, my sisters, mom, & the maid to taste some, just taste some, and then you can judge, regardless of how it looks, it might taste good, "it looks YUCKY, I suppose it will be worse in our stomachs, kleeh bro7ich O_o" my sis said bluntly, how cruel & pathetic. Though, it didn't look that bad, it was just that the ingredients were a bit sticky and clumped, plus the smell was not a familiar smell of salad at all, not that stinky though… it was bearable, but, like I said, may be the tuna's type. After all my attempts to persuade them to taste my cook failed and no one gave a damn to my demands, I decided to try it myself; I did and felt like vomiting really, it's indeed gross! >.< it tasted as if it was mixed with a type of liquid flu medicine, I dunno how or why it turned out like that, but they were right; it looked yucky and even worse in the mouth. I gave up, after receiving a good amount of jokes & laughs…well.. 3ady
Despite of my last unsuccessful experience in the kitchen, I've decided to try my luck once again.
Me: I want to cook you something …
Mom: like what?
Me: I dunno! something for Dinner for example….
Mom +sisters: anything BUT DINNER!! They jumped down my throat they didn't give me the chance to continue my suggestion…. my sis went on "choose something fits your level at cooking… sorry, we want to have something proper for dinner. Sahymeeen 6oooool elyom O eventually nef6r 3ala something that's unfit for human consumption??" O_o, unfit for HC? Laish did I say I would cook some stuffed mice? Or fried cockroaches? Worms soup?, cockroaches are fit for HC in some countries btw " you could make something else, like… appetizers, or any small meal…but NOT the main course, yalla 3ad!!" my sis went on.
Me: something fits ma level? like the effortless semi-ready recipes u show off that u make,,, she knows noting in the world of kitchens but to prepare recipes that contains TOAST, and adds only something easily-prepared like a filler or ketchup on the top or sometimes rolls it and get it stuffed with vegetables, and keeps reminding us of her achievement for years.
Sis: AT LEAST I did something useful, unlike you.
mom: she's right, you have nothing but lying down on there 24/7 O_o, get off your backside a bit; think for once to master something in your life O_o, to do something properly, poor the one who would marry you, are you going to order ready meals forever? ……………….etc
Pardon me? What are the loads of the Asian maids in almost every Emiratie house for? Get real now, if you really want me to cook and help in the house chores, send your maids back, lets see how you would handle it, how would our houses be without them, in this case, sure we would all die, yes, nothing work without those maids of the magical powers, they are as important as the UAE's petroleum, even more important, we can't go without them, if they just knew how much they are valuable to us they would take advantage of it and use it as a weapon and get as much as they wish,, Seriously why should I bother when every thing is ready and done for me?. I turned the table over mom's head. Mom's a great cook btw, but most of the time she doesn’t cook, she mostly depends on the maids, except for Harees & coffee, the maids are unable to make it as delicious as mom does so she has to make it on her own or at least to supervise.
I don't think cooking is a basic skill one must learn (a personal opinion), it's not interesting for me plus it's a very boring chore especially when having long procedures, chopping, packing, grating, frying ,,etc. I prefer to go for cleaning my own bathroom than to be in the kitchen for cooking, cleaning is less boring and you can sing in the process, it's fun. But again, that doesn't mean I am not going to give another try, I'll try to make it enjoyable & fun, I'll talk about the results in a new post (IF the results will be worth of course), & I'll try to support it by a couple of pictures by my mobile's camera (Samsung) and it sucks, I haven't get the 400D canon camera yet, I've got some priorities to get first then the canon 400D's turn will come.
I wish my self a happy and "safe" cooking! ;)
skip to main |
skip to sidebar
My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. My thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and my dreams are just as beautiful!
Pages
Friday, September 4, 2009
Labels
- :P (1)
- A lil bit about my self (1)
- Abusing technology (1)
- Al Ain (1)
- Al Ain weather (1)
- and it's not a matter of opinion (1)
- Apple Orange (1)
- As random as it gets (4)
- awkward moment (1)
- back to my bb (1)
- backwardness (1)
- banana (1)
- BB (1)
- blocked site (1)
- blood (1)
- Book Fair (1)
- books (2)
- bored (1)
- bread (1)
- broadcasted msg via my bb (1)
- Café (1)
- Caramel the cat (1)
- Cartoon (1)
- celebrity (1)
- cheat (1)
- China (1)
- chit-chatting (1)
- college (1)
- conflict (1)
- contest (1)
- cooking (1)
- cracked me up (1)
- crush (1)
- cultural diversity (1)
- Dariwn's smarts (1)
- dealing with careless ppl (1)
- Dinosaurs (1)
- Dress (1)
- Dua'a (1)
- Emirati drama (1)
- Etisalat (1)
- fish (1)
- food (4)
- Forget (1)
- freind (1)
- from my life (6)
- fruit salad (1)
- funny (6)
- hallucinations (1)
- Harees (1)
- holidays (1)
- Hospital (1)
- In My Garden (1)
- iphone4 sucks at times (1)
- job (1)
- just 4 memories (1)
- kid (1)
- La tetfalsaff (1)
- laugh (1)
- local news (1)
- LOL (1)
- ma a3raf which one I get (1)
- moan (3)
- Mohammed Bin Rashed (1)
- Mother's day (1)
- My bb (1)
- My best reply ever (1)
- My birthday (1)
- My fav songs (1)
- My which bb-type-to-get story (1)
- National day celebration (1)
- new year (1)
- New Year resolutions (1)
- news (1)
- Nobel Prize (2)
- nothing better to blog on (1)
- old song (1)
- personal (1)
- Photo (1)
- photograpgy (1)
- photography (4)
- Poem (1)
- Poem I like (1)
- prayers (1)
- problem (2)
- psychos at work (1)
- Rain (1)
- Ramadan (1)
- random (3)
- random moan (1)
- Relaxation (1)
- religion (1)
- responsible (1)
- RIP (1)
- sad (1)
- Society (1)
- Something weird about me (1)
- songs (1)
- strang minds (1)
- supplications (1)
- technical probs (1)
- that's what happens when I sleep (1)
- the bomb (1)
- The nation (1)
- time (1)
- Trainee (2)
- UAE Dictionary (1)
- veil (1)
- Victory Team (1)
- weird (1)
- White lions (1)
- women rights (1)
- work (2)
- Yucky stuff (1)
- Zayed (2)
Links I Love
My Photolog
Links I love 2
About this blog
Bread feeds the body, indeed, but flowers feed also the soul.
Prophet Mohammed
Prophet Mohammed
You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "
Freinds
.
40 comments:
I love cooking or trying to anyway. I'm practicing myself so good luck to both of us.
I wouldn't like it if it was expected of me as a working wife to have 3 meals on the table everyday but I'm old fashioned when it comes to this I guess and think it's nice to be able to serve your husband something you prepared.
Maybe start with baking? Mixing a bunch of ingredients together then waiting for the oven to do its work isn't too hard.
Cake is life!
Please note that I have tasted firefox's baking ONCE and I almost died. So dont take her advice as law!
Muahahahaha!
Haha you meanie!
You happened to taste a failed cake. One of my first as well! I've progressed since then. My other cakes have been delicious AND popular.
I'll be baking cookies soon and then I never want to hear you bring up that mistake I made ever again!
Its only popular with your BROTHERS who have NOTHING to eat BUT your baking.
They are too lazy to go to a proper bakery and get good cake. I however dont mind leaving the house for 1/2 an hour for the best cake in Abu Dhabi!
Yalla, we'll see. If these cookies arent PERFECT! I'll never eat your baking again!
It wasn't just my brothers and sisters. 2 of my girl-friends as well.
Perfect?! -_- They'll be good. Don't be so bratty! That's my job.
:P
Both of you are Fathiyat.
You can BUY everything these days, so whats the point of baking things of lesser quality at home?
Abit, Grrrrr Why on earth are you sticking your nose in gals biz?? And why are you trying to get us down??
hey FF,
well, Baking as a start?,, humm, I already thought of it but I don't think it will be a good choice, believe me it's hard as a start, I'm still looking for an easier recipe to avoid failure & jokes as well, perhaps I could make Tuna balls, lol ,tuna again .. it's not that hard... Anywayz, I'm still flipping through the books ..but haven't landed on something yet, what a business..
You can BUY everything these days, so whats the point of baking things of lesser quality at home?
..
can you depends on ready meals forever? of course not..
the lesser quality will be SOMETHING after a continouse practice.
be a supporter plz... grrr
Hi Al-ain Rose.Baking can be easy. You just need to find the right recipes.
Check out this site: http://allrecipes.com/
It's awesome.I've tried out a few recipes on there. Go for the ones with excellent reviews.
One word: Pasta.
All you do is follow the intructions on the packet and watch your pasta. You boil it to when it's just about done because it continues to cook in its own heat. You don't want soggy pasta.That means it needs to have a very slight bite to it when you stop the cooking process.
You can be creative with the sauce. Add your own vegetables. I happen to like mushrooms and brocolli.Use canned tomatoes, tomato paste mixed with water, onions,garlic and oregano to make the red sauce.
ABIT, cooking is fun! And it's a nice feeling when you put together something tasty,especially when others enjoy it too.
Lets say you have guests over...It's much more intimate when you've prepared a meal for them instead of ordering out.
Or you can order from a place then SHIFT the food into the house's plates! They will think you cooked it!
So this is all about Vanity!
Al Ain Rose... Gal business? And who will eat the food after you're done? Only girls? YALLA MINAAK! *points*
YOu 2 need to not talk to each other. Khalas!
I can live off of the cafeteria forever... why not? Wa7id naqaniq, wa7id la7am nashif... talyani kabeer bidoon shukkar!
It's memorized!
You're missing the point! Grr!
You should be happy I want to cook for you and I'm not caught up in this feminist crap. Lol.
You want to eat Cafeteria food everyday?0_0
I'd love to see Rose bake us a tart :)
FF, the website is great, it really helps, thanks!
and for the Pasta, you're right, but I'm not into pasta, I won't cook something I won't eat.lol
thanks for the tips.
Or you can order from a place then SHIFT the food into the house's plates! They will think you cooked it!
...
:O ...but where could I hide the white containers of the ready food? they would find out.
I'd love to see Rose bake us a tart :)
...
7ahyallah men yana... welcome back bu jassem.
Tart marrah we7dah?? you either want just to laugh or think I'm the super talented cook.
hey, i never left to come back!
btw, i love to see ppl cook.. if it's good then it's fun and if they are not good then it's funny!
if they are not good then it's funny!
..
yeah, for that I think twice before I head to the kitchen for cooking purpose.
hey, tell us about your experience in cooking, especially you lived in England for a considerable period of time.
or do u think it's unmanly if the man's into cooking?
Wa7id naqaniq, wa7id la7am nashif... talyani kabeer bidoon shukkar!
...
lol, u never fail to crack me up ABIT!
man, the wa7id will not be wa7id when it's inside your body, it will be hundreds of fat molecules wandering your veins, haha.
and good to know you order the Talyanni without Shekkar!! I hope next time will be s'3eer mob kbeer. ;P
It will NEVER bee sagheer! Infact 2 nights ago I drank a whole liter of Talyani myself... (My cousin drank a whole liter of Millennium as well! lol)
I also order my Naqaniq with CHEESE! Muahahaha! Bring on the fat cells!
Cooking is a NEED when you live away from hme. In the US we HAD to learn. So now I can cook almost anything. Baryani, Machboos, Saloonas, all types, Harees, Mugallah, rice, pasta, red and white sauces, soups... and of course grilled and fried things. Salads...
Im actually a very good cook. But Im also very lazy, and since we have 3 maids here, I dont cook anymore.
When you live 4 guys in an apartment in the US, cooking is a must.
I can cook better than Firefox! lol. Its the truth!
Dear Rose,
Most famous chefs (doesn't mean good chefs) are in fact men. Even though women can multitask better. So it's not unmanly to cook.
In fact I used to be very proud of my cooking back in England and the biggest dinner I organised was for about 10 or 12 people afew years back. They were all from good food cultures (e.g. Italy, Greece, Arab, etc) and they all came out happy.
I can do the basic foods (e.g. hummous) and the more tricky ones (e.g. thareed) and some advanced ones (e.g. waraq 3inab).. but mostly in the UK i used to cook simple and healthy food, which excluded the arabic foods i like. such foods would be grilled fish or salads as main courses and other yummies.
I even tried saudi kabsa a few times.. but it made me feel stupid when i ate it, so i stopped making it :P
:O
ABIT just because you MAY be better than me(I've yet to see proof!:P),doesn't mean I suck.Just wanted to put that out there.
We'll see on Friday with my cookies!
Rose, that's too bad you don't like pasta. I'm a carb queen.
I think rice dishes would be a good step then. This is one of my favourites.
http://chef.pct.edu/recipes/viewrecipe.asp?id=118
Rose, BuJ is an amazing cook! He's a killer cook in disguise. A whilst back, he posted pictures of home cooking / Zataar on his blog. I was salivating away at the screen.
I burn toast and make black cwaffeee.
FF, thanks, you're a real supporter, unlike your fiance, knows nothing but mocking the good cooks. >.>!
tell you what, deprive him from your cookies next time when he comes over, none even a teeny weeny peice, ok? let him drools over them. It's a good punishment for he underestimating your skills.:P
Bu jassem, wow!! you're dangerouse!! May I take a cooking course with you?
haha rosh, I'm no better, join us in cheif Bu jassem cooking class. No more burned toast or a gross coffe. ^^
looool shush Mr Rosh!!!!
don't divulge such sensitive info hehehe
guys i really miss my cooking.. i learned to cook all sorts of (easy) dishes as a result of living away from mom's kitchen and away from good restaurants and also because i love to cook and host people in my house.
as thus i cannot possibly teach you anything because my dishes are very simple.. but would be happy to invite you all for a humble meal sometime :)
LOL Rose. No worries.
I'll get ABIT back!:P
He is going to have a cheeky reply to what you suggested like "Thank God!Now I won't be poisoned!"
I actually owe him something decent after the failure of a cake I made him taste way back :$ Lol.
Anyway if these new recipes turn out well, I'll share them with you!
Oh..you turned us down bu Jassem?.. I was about to get a new apron!
Ok, you're the loser. Rosh, don't cry sweetie, we will find a way for your burned toast & gross coffee. ;_;
He is going to have a cheeky reply to what you suggested like "Thank God!Now I won't be poisoned!"
..
LOL, I KNOW!
Good luck on your cookies, for me I'm not sure when I'm gonna get started... I'm not in the mood lately..
forgive me... i didnt' think my comment would be taken so negatively.
well, u made me feel guilty... perhaps u didn't intend something negative, but it wasn't a friendly reply either.
Sorry for my quick temper...
I need to be a little more patient.
Rose, i invited all of you for dinner instead!! now you're turning me down :(
OOOh! Mr BuJassem, be careful ya rayaal, I might just pitch a tent outside your Majlis and wait it out as long as I get some home coooking! :) The tent shall have a tele, music, potato chips, diet coke and tidbit edibles, just in case hahaha!
Rose -- the quintessential Emirati woman. Seems there's just so few these days, or perhaps I'm just not seeing as much. Please, don't change..
lol mr Rosh, you're funny! so the quintessential emirati woman needs cooking lessons? ouch..
ok i see why u call me a tough PR cookie :P
seriously, no need to pitch a tent.. our door is open :)
I'm on the phone with travel reservations Mr BuJ :)
Re: emirati woman; Nah, not cooking. Read through Rose's last comment to Abid. Quintessential indeed.
My cookies didn't turn out well :-(
Lol.
Oh well. I'll try again. But I think I've just shattered any faith ABIT had in my cooking.
:/
Oh God were they bad! They tasted like expired sugar (if that is even possible) and the texture was that of beach sand.
There will be a blog post WITH pictures very soon! Muahahahahaha!
Don't exaggerate!
-_-
I had good intentions.
:$
Post a Comment
What you write reflects who you are, simply.