Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Eggs Eyes







I was planning to make an order from some Cafateria, I already have their menue, so I was skimming through the list of their dishes names (in English), I found this interesting meal:

Eggs eyes ------------ 5 AED





I recalled my British collegue who had hard time reading the food menues of the local Cafaterias and restaurants here when we happened to order at work, it was in English but still we had to translate for her, the translation in such menues is literal and word by word in a very meaningless and funny way, like the Eggs Eyes one I mentioned.


Well, for me as an Arabic speaker too, I can figure it out easily. But it's confusing for others of course.
It's called Baith Eyoon in Arabic, for non-Arabic speakers, Baith means eggs, & Eyoon means eyes, so Eggs Eyes is just an Arabish variant for eggs sunny sides up. Rofl


SO,


Eyes (3yoon) VS sunny side up?
















Both are metaphorically smart, but the sky isn't white, nor there's yellow eyes color :P, but I think the English term is a bit smarter in descriping this way of serving eggs, just an opinion. The Arabic term compares it with eyes since the rounded yolk surronded by the white of the egg resembles the eye... in a way, like the cornea surronded by the white of the eye. While the English term compares the yellow rounded yolk on the white part with the sun in the sky.


Anyways, *Eggs eyes* is my favourit way of serving eggs. Second favourite way is when the egg is poached. I don't much prefer the hardboiled way since I prefer the yolk to be partialy raw. I plash some salt and black pepper powder on the top, I mostly have it without bread, with a fresh orange juice or milk tea. A healthy breakfast to start your day. However, the poached is healtheir than the sunny sides up since the former is prepared without oil, all you need is a boiling water.



so tell me guys what's your favourite way to have eggs? :)



5 comments:

Al-ain Rose said...

Hey Faisal, I'm sorry I had to move the post and your comment's been lost in the process, but I've copied it:

Not a big fan of eggs, also, egg eyes doesn't make it any appealing :S
...........

I know many people aren't big on eggs, it's a protein meal it doesn't affect the weight no matter how much you have that's why it's avoided by many hahaii

rosh said...

LOL! It's 'bulls eye' :)

I like my eggs, scrambled or an omelet :)

Anonymous said...

I rearly eat eggs, hence bayth 3youn well done is one favourit along with scrambled eggs with chees or green beans.
I am alergic to eggs somehow so sometimes I get skin irritation; thats what keep me away from this chicken laid unborn babies.

Al-ain Rose said...

Jassim eggs are not always unborn embryos, most of what we eat are unfertilized eggs..

Anonymous said...

I am vegetarian so I don't eat any meat, but I do enjoy eggs from time to time. I like them scrambled or sunny side up, with a generous amount of black pepper! I also like deviled eggs. I wonder if you call them by a different name in Arabic?

Post a Comment

What you write reflects who you are, simply.