
It's my favorite cartoon series on TV in Ramadan. It's very popular in UAE. I don't miss an episode; it's the most series (beside Freej) that has been able to perfectly reflect & show the cultural diversity in our country through its characters in a fun way. Let me introduce you to Sha3biyatt Al-cartoon funny characters:

1. Shambai, Za3eem Al-7arah (the quarter's leader) as he calls himself. He represents the Emi people in UAE, he's the funniest character by all means, and he's my favorite actually and makes me laugh like crazy. Especially the first episode, it was damn funny.
2. Bu Muhayerr, he represents Al-ain people, he's Enawi, lol. He speaks the real accent of OLD Enawis people, especially with his exclamation : yeeeeeeeeeeyeeeeeeeeeiii! When he disapproves something, and he always corrects Shambai when he mispronounces words, LOL! And I don't know why they make him wear green "sufra" instead of the standard white; they just want to make fun of 3enawies!.:P He lives a Bedouin life style, & he loves his camels so much, he fancies hanging out in deserts (the 3ezba) with his friends, simply, he's a typical 3enawi old man! And since I'm a 3enawi, I love this character!

3. The cute 3affary. The nickname of 3afra. she's the daughter of Bu Muhayer, an Enawi gangster kid that symbolize the unleashed Enawies cubs, but Affari is nothing compared to the real lil evils in Al-ain.*sigh*, I love her cute voice, she's naughty and carries a pacifier around her nick. She's famous for her song " Arkabb Al- 7antoor O At7antar!" how can I translate ' At7anter' to english? Al-7antoor is the horse carriage. I ride the carriage and ….get carriaged. Hehe. Anyway, I love 3affary *kisses*.

4. D7aim is the Saudi boy character in the quarter, he enjoys playing pranks on ppl, especially on poor Indian grocers, and they suffer from D7aim's pranks a lot. Oh yeah, he's the lover of 3attoga! But from one side, of course, 3attoga's side!

5. 3attoga, an aggressive black woman, a trouble maker, and the whole quarter gets scared when she just walks by, she has something called " Al-6ragg Al-Fattaq! " or " the Fatal face smack! "No one dares to mess with her, it won't be a nice end if 3attoga used her fatal weapon, Al-6ragg AL-Fattaq!. She is deeply in love with poor D7aim, but hell he just gets scared of her and it's a one side love. Poor 3atooga, just a single deep kiss from her is enough to kill d7aim straightway!

6. 7anafi, the Egyptian character, he always manages to speak Emiratie and the result is a funny mixed accent, neither Emiratie nor Egyptian, like , "laish sawwaitt shezeeee ya wild Khalooty!", why would you do that, my cousin?

7. Abu Slaiman and Umm Slaiman are the Omani characters. They're damn funny as well. I didn't find a pic for her husband. ^^

8. 3osman, the Sudanese character.

9. Mumtazz, th indian character. He's a tailor. He's the main target of the crazy boyz like D7aim & 7anafi.
You can tell where they come from just knowing their names, the creators of this cartoon successfully chose typical names for the characters by which you can easily find out their origins , like, Shambai, you can tell he's Emi, Bu Mhayerr, enawi, 7anafi , from Egypt, 3osman is a Sudanese, D7aim, Saudi and so on….
There are still many other characters in the cartoon but those are the main ones that attract the audience attention, especially Shambai, he is the most popular character and no one in the UAE doesn't know about Shambai, Za3eem Al-7arah.
.
Nice cartoons, and it reflects indeed the cultural diversity we have in our Country.
Bass.
23 comments:
loooool exactly how old are you? :)
hehehe made me laugh this post!!
off to shopping soon? :)
Bu Jassem ;_;
even old ppl watch the series, I swear ;_;
as for EXACTLY how old I am, I'm 24, & 4 months, 17days, 15 hours.
off to shopping soon? :)
Laish how many times do ennas go to shopping? I did yesterday, today is break, Muhahaha!
daymn!!!!! so much detail! i bet you were young when you wrote your age :P
mashalla mashalla, tfoo tfoo, (handkerchief) so young yet so smart mashalla :)
aren't you a woman? a true woman will go shopping every single opportunity even if there is nothing to shop.. especially in the emirates haha
Great new look al ain rose! and great post! I LOVE THIS CARTOON!
This plus 3ajeeb ghareeb are my 2 favorite Ramadan shows.
probably because I am Eimi and the 2 Eimi charecters in the 2 shows remind me alot of the older generation, like my grandfather, who still had a hint of farsi to his accent. Allah er7amah.
Unlike alot of places, the UAE can make fun of it's rich diversity without people killing people (I asked one of my best friends, a Za3abi guy, if he was craving grilled fox today for iftar for example, lol)
Also agree with Bujassim, it's what women were created to do... Shop. lol.
Oh btw, the 3afreeta... you forgot to menion that she is voiced by the superhot Mariam Al Mansoori! *swoons*
LOL.
Thanks for the tip. I shall try and catch a few series.
Hi there Abit, welcome, yes Gajeeb Ghreeb is fun also, I wonder why alwayz Emi & Bediouns in Al-ain are the targets for such shows,lol.
You & Bu jassem seem to need the Al-6ragg Al-fattaq for the anti-women comments.we need 3attoga's hand for that, hehe.
Oh btw, the 3afreeta... you forgot to menion that she is voiced by the superhot Mariam Al Mansoori! *swoons*
...
copy-past to ur fiance,lol.
Thanks for the tip. I shall try and catch a few series.
..
welocme Rosh, yes try, it's fun :)
copy-past to ur fiance,lol.
La la! I meant for other people! Esma3eeni la, I dont need any mashakil! *PLEASE!!!!!* She will kill me! She has that Al-6ragg Al-fattaq!
I think the Eyam and the Badu of Al Ain are easy targets, plus they both are extreme representations of our society.
Also, you guys have Eyam in Al Ain that are 1/2 Arab, So it's a fair representation.
We make fun of them, as they act and speak like Arabs. and cant understand when we make fun of them in Eimy. lol.
1. La la!
2. Esma3eeni la
3. *PLEASE!!!!!*
ok this time I'm gonna have mercy on you.
Thank you!
I love watching this cartoon although I dont even understand what they are saying :) Its also a very great&fun way of getting to know the Emirati culture. I wish we could watch it every day, not just in Ramadan.
And whats "Eim"? Is it a name of tribe? Or just a family name?
Hello Borders,
Eimis (Or Eyams like we say in our own lang.) are Emiraties who have persian ethnicity.
Unfortunatly, there are no English dubbed or subtitled vedios of the series.
Thank you for the info, Al-ain Rose. Its nice to learn something new :)
I wish the cartoon had subtitles :( Next Ramadan, hopefully :)
welcome borders. btw, didn't you like my Turkish post? :P
Well, honestly, I have never watched this series "Dudaktan Kalbe",(which literally means "from lips to heart") so have no idea about it but its based on an old novel which I really like. Usually, they modify the story to make it attractive for the TV audience.
Whats interesting is MBC4 and other channels here bring all the crap series that noone watches in Turkey! Im still very surprised how "Nour" did actually succeeded here! And Im really sick of people asking me about it! :s
Sorry for the long comment :)
oh, I think I read somewhere that "Dudaktan Kalbe" literally means "heart pulses",. In Arabic it's translated to "Dakat Kalb" wich means heart pulses, literally. Perhaps the producers did it intentionally since 'dakat slightly 'sounds like 'dudaktan' in pronunciation? Maybe. .
and oh about the Arab obsession of "Nour & Mohannad", you've got to laugh at Arab, seriously, even my 5 yrs old nephew knows who's nour & Muhannd!! unlike many, I never watched it, but yeah I suppose it's sucky. and I can't see WHY girls are so damn obsessed with the actress kevanch ( or mohannad in the Arabic dub), I don't think he's handsome, I've once asked by my professor about this guy, he was like" why do ya think of Mohannad?" he got shocked by my reply when I said I don't like how this guy looks, he thought all girls must be immpresed by this freak. he's 'yellow' all over. blond men are yucky, seriously.
and don't be surprised, any type of crap in any place in the world could have an opportunity to succeed in the Arab world. Honestly, most of the Turkish serirs promotes immorality, like the women with multi relationshpis, fornication, ..etc. however, I'm pretty sure what those series include doesn't reflect the real culture & values of Turkish people.
"Honestly, most of the Turkish serirs promotes immorality, like the women with multi relationshpis, fornication, ..etc. however, I'm pretty sure what those series include doesn't reflect the real culture & values of Turkish people."
Absolutely right. Watching immoral series changed the face of our society too and some things became more acceptable now. I hope the case will not be the same here in UAE. Especially teenagers for example, they are always the risk group. They can be easily influenced from what they see on TV and they will shape our future! Oh, Im worried!
There are people in Turkey living exactly the way u described it but that doesnt apply to all of us. We have a population of 70million people, not one of them is the same like the other one. I hope people here dont think that we all live this way!!
My husband is from Yemen and our families got along very well as if we were from the same country. Arabs and Turks have many things in common but thanks to the external powers, we lost that link. Turkey looks up to EU and USA but that is changing now. Hopefully, we will embrace our brothers in the middle east once again. Im sure that will also bring our lost identity back.
"There are people in Turkey living exactly the way u described it but that doesnt apply to all of us."
of course. I'm talking about the core values of the society, the original customs.
Arabs & Turks have a lot in common and can pretty get on, and I think you're much closer to Arabs than to Eurpians owing to the same religion (the main reason btw), values and social customs..the two cultures are not very different.
Borders, I used to have a turkish collegue, and I learned how you guys live and act, so I haven't got deceived by those series, I already have a good impression, cuz even some Gulfian series here on our TVs contribute in giving some bad image about us, in terms of ethics I mean. especially the Kuwaite ones, they're even worse than "Nour" in terms of immorality stuff.
"Im sure that will also bring our lost identity back."
Amen.
Eimis (Or Eyams like we say in our own lang.) are Emiraties who have persian ethnicity.
Not exactly. Eyam are:
1. The Baharna
2. Those Gulf citizens of persian ethnicity
3. The ARABS who live/lived in southern Iran.
4. Those from Bulooshistan
The Eyam themselves are a wide arraay of ethnicities. Those originally from Lar for example are Shi'a muslims. Those from Khoor or Harmoud originally are Sunnis.
The Baharnas are families such as the Fardan or Makki families. Also Shi'a.
Then there are families that are NOT technically persian in their origin, but rather Arab, BUT have lived in the southern parts of Iran for a while.
Such families as the Hosani or the Hammadi
Bulooshis are also today called Eyam, though their ethnicity differs from us "regular" Eyam.
We all have a few things in common though. Our fmailies often still speak Farsi at home (I dont, but all my family who are over 35 do) a notable exception are the Khooris, they ALL still speak our dialect of Farsi.
Bulooshis have their own dialect, thow we can understand each other.
We also have some custom differences from Arabs (Our weddings for example, and how men/women sit together in one family...
The UAE is a VERY ethnically diverse place. But because we all dress alike, people assume we are all alike.
That was a brief definition for a person who knows lil or even nothing about the cultural backgrounds here in UAE.
I'm familiar with the classification you put except for Baharnah, I know nothing as to who they are, all I know is that they're Shiite of persian ethnicity.
1-2-&3 are related to persia one way or another, those who come from Bulooshistan are called Bulooshis and we don't refer to them as Eyam.
My professor at college is from Al-Faheem family, he couldn't even respond to us in Arabic, he understood us when we talk but never heard him speaking Arabic, but he was ~45 but his kids speak fluent UAE Arab.
Al-faheem, AL-Khajah, Al- Amiri are Sunnis, correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm following this conversation and find it very interesting :)
Post a Comment
What you write reflects who you are, simply.