Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A trainee at Al-ain Hospital, what a business!

Photobucket

I just got back from the hospital to collect my tests results, I haven't been there since the last summer, when I used to be a trainee in their laboratories, visiting the hospital recently just brought back my training memories & the hilarious stories I had there, it was a new and fun experience for me and for the two of my friends, we got through hilarious situations in the main laboratory of the hospital, on the other hand it was difficult. From the first day, they informed us that we were going to be treated exactly like any employee in the hospital so we have to take things in a serious way, we should come early at 7:30, and sign once we arrive there like others employees, but they had mercy on us by not keeping us until 4 pm like the hospital's employees, god I would kill my self if that happened! So they allow us to leave at 2 pm, and had only 1 hr break (barely finish our Sewalif), well, that's how it was supposed to be, well, not really, I used to get to the hospital at 8:30 and sometimes at 9, & when I'm so punctual at 8:00, I need over 15 min to get into the break room and take off my Abaya to put on the lab coat, then adjust my Shaila and keep gazing at the mirror to find any mistake to correct, then, before I head to the laboratory where we have our training, I have to pass by the old receptionist to say hi, it's a thing to do there, a must for she was a nagging old woman, so I MUST pass the morning greeting and say hi and shake hands and exchange kisses! Otherwise I won't be able to cross the corridor to reach the lab!! Everyday once I jump this obstacle, I just feel relieved! like, phew!! I can breath easily now, she was soo annoying and talkative, & that was the last thing I need when I'm just awake, I still feel drowsy and barley walk, and I can't stand the blah blah blah in that early morning (yeah early, lol), despite of the fact that she's an annoying person, she was soooo damn kind and naïve. Oh finally ….the lab… I want to hug everyone cuz I FINALLY succeed to reach it; I found both of my friends there waiting for me, what's this lab? What they are carrying on in here? Well, it was the hematology lab where the blood samples are collected & examined, aha.. ok…that seems to be fun, we are going to deal with blood samples….that seems to be interesting!…humm ….anywayz

Since we are only poor trainees there, they don't trust us to touch a thing, they just show us how to deal with the blood samples then they let us try by using the already examined samples, that's right, I don't want to kill some one by misdiagnosing their samples or mixing them up.

In this lab, the people who were given the responsibility of training us in the hematology lab (they were cursed for that) were:

A Philippine guy, I dislike him.

An Indian old man. He's got a quick temper.

An Egyptian lady. She didn't give us a damn, lol.

The supervisor of the lab was an Emiratie woman, she's damn nice.

Lets start with the Philippine trainer, he thinks himself Jean-Claude Van Damme or maybe Tom Cruz, he was arrogant for nothing, he chews a gum all time, calm, and his voice could barely be heard, like murmuring , I understood nothing from him, NOTHING, but I didn't tell him so.. fuck it. So, according to these observations, he was a damn failure trainer.



Lets talk about the Egyptian trainer, hum, she wasn't friendly enough, she was like: Aggh I've got enough, I don't need more, we almost beg her when we want to learn how things work in the lab or how to do this or that, all what she offer is that she gave us a huge volume, it is used to record some information about the patients, such as their names, ages, locations, and the type of the test they need, & such like, we took the book and mixed everything up, I swear it was full of scribbles, where the names should be written we wrote the locations and vice versa, so again, according to these observations, she was a failure trainer.



And now, The Indian trainer * drams*



I fall in his hands unluckily, with his HORIBBLE ACCENT; you know how Indians sound when they speak English, horrible, god! it's not even English, it's something else, another language but naaah...not English, the trouble was that he was supposed to show me how to diagnose certain blood diseases based on the shapes of blood cells under the microscope, so, I need first to learn the shapes of the ill blood cells and compare them with the normal ones so I can find out the type of the disease.. How the hell can I know all that when I couldn't understand even a word of what he was saying. I couldn’t catch a thing, none even a word!!



Here goes the scenario:

He: efkskfsgurgmshh ueyflayf lakwiud aulw dl,askwfu liywfuiaehfl iwul la.akhwdkahwhf

Jwhdakhfkaf, wudkajsfg kajfkajwgf jwyfl fh, f,wksd,ashwfl IHDFL,fhy lkhf LWFH Yfhy Fehfajehfjhfkj u rykwdf,ajwsfwbkjsf jwyrlkhf dl FJADHHHHHHHH scbabfvahfaf,

Me: O_o

He: understand!!! * the only word I could get*

Me: yes.. I shied to say "no cuz I can't understand your English!".

He: then answer this question!…

Me: o_O!! I'm stuck now! , I got horrified.

Then he asked me to get closer to examine the blood sample under the microscope, and to move the microscope pointer to some cell that's related to some disease…* I barely understood this*

Me: O_o …hummm,,, I shied to tell him I don't know the answer so I pointed at a random cell in the hope it would be the right one. ;_;

He burst out: NO!!!! I just said how! *in his horrible accent*

Then he started from scratch, he repeated all what he said once again and of course with his coded accent.

Me, to my self: there is no hope ;_;

Then asked me again to move the pointer, and again, I pointed to the wrong one.

He, nervously: YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!! poor he, gone completely crazy.

Me: uh-uh.

He: go now, later!!!! I got him so irritated and left him in a horrible mood status..

so again, according to these observations, he was a failure trainer.

I took a deep breath then walked out of the lab seeking some fresh air, my friends are sent to another sections, I'm alone in this place, the rooms there are narrow, crowded and stuffy, blood samples are everywhere, the hospital's smell is awful, people passing by quickly, no one seems to be very friendly there, or maybe it's just a feeling of an outsider, yes, I felt like an outsider, it was totally a new environment, completely different than college and I'm not that adaptable person, and 2 months (training duration) don't seems to be enough for me to adopt to the hospital conditions. Ya Rabbi, that's enough for today, I can't wait to get back home!

The only nice person there was the boss of the lab; he was gentle and kind Iraqi professor who had just moved from Iraq to Emirates. He always made sure that we were learning well in his lab, and also call us to his office to lecture us about some hematological stuff that, to this day, I have no idea what it was, once he found me alone, and he walked toward me and started chatting with me, may be he felt sorry for me how I looked damn bored and confused after they sent my friends to another section to reduce the congestion in the lab from the first day, & on the first day & since it's a new experience, we the outsiders need to stay together at least on the first day until we are able to adjust to this new place, I was about to cry when they sent me ALONE & from the FIRST day to the accident department where I should prepare my self to some shocking views like bloody accident victims and such like, you need to have strong verves for such place, I begged the supervisor to allow my friends to accompany me to there, she told me she couldn't cuz if we all went there we would make the place more congested which is the last thing they need in such place, the crowd would scare the patients, she stated! O_o plus my friends were sent to other section, to the surgery section, Muahahaha! That was funny but I felt sorry for us all… and headed to the accident department where I will meet an Indian nurse, she is going to show me how I do the blood test, she was kind, she put me in 2 by 2 meters room where patients do their blood test, it barely fits about 3 persons, we're shoulder to shoulder with each other, the worst of all there, that this box smells awful, I asked her what's wrong I can't really stand being inside? She nodded her head toward another door in this box that leads to … guess what?? Leads to a smelly toilet!! a 2 by 2 meters box and yet a toilet inside that keeps sending aromas for patients!! And I'm only few inches away!!!!! God, I swear it was like a solitary, torturing, but not training, I wished I could vanish somehow & find my self HOME, what's this yucky hospital!! I heard they are moving to a wider better & more comfortable new building now, congratulations…. to… the becoming trainees who will come after& not suffer as we did. So, we spent ONE WEEK in the blood laboratory; it was like a year, seriously.

Now we are in the blood bank, where they collect the blood transportation units for patients who are in need for blood transportation.*May Allah protect us so we don't need that someday, Amen*

Photobucket

Anyway, on that day, I felt a lil bit dizzy cuz I hadn't slept well at night, so I felt like if I stay longer in the room, I would pass out, so I asked the supervisor to excuse me for a couple of minutes till I feel okay. I stayed in the stuffy break room (3 by 4 meters!!) till I felt okay then I got back to the blood bank room, and I didn't know that there was a surprise waiting for me, I found the old woman receptionist in the room telling others that I felt dizzy cuz I got scared when I saw the hanging blood units in the blood bank, Oh my god, this old woman again! *GASP* I told her I felt tired BEACUSE I didn't get ENOUGH sleep PLUS I get out of the house on an EMPTY stomach, so I felt dizzy!! Not because of the blood sight!!!!! God.

Then she went on, NO don't deny, say that you fear of blood sight, don't shy, I know!! O_o! I ..just kept silent for the sake of my sanity !!

The trainer in this place was a very friendly & popular girl, she's Emiratie, we got on her fast and she was really like a friend of us, we enjoyed being with her, she took us to the blood donation room where they collect the blood units and also showed us the process. Since I entered the blood bank, I got all depressed from what I saw there, a man had a car accident and is bleeding awfully in the operation room, "we need TEN blood units right now!!" The doctor said, our supervisor told him that we have only 5 units that are compatible to his blood type, they sent a messenger to Tuwam hospitals to get the blood units, they were all moving slowly, honestly I smell some of carelessness in them all, or may be they are used to such situations, I dunno, the man is dying and they still need to crawl to Tuwam hospital to get the blood units? Few hours later, he passed away, oh god, I felt like crying, but they don't seem so, the supervisor and her friends in the blood bank are blabing and laughing as if they didn't hear the bad news, may his soul rest in peace, I got back home all depressed, I couldn't wait to leave this place, it's damn depressing, I can't stand that anymore.


Another story in the blood bank that made me felt contempt more and more to the other sex, in the donation room, there was a man whose his wife is giving birth, and she was in need for blood transportation, and he must be the donator, I saw him so angry and bitching about his wife! I was amazed & left the donation room cuz I felt he was about to hit anyone in front of him, so I quit, later, I asked the supervisor what's the deal with this man? she told me that he was angry cuz he knew that his wife is giving birth to a baby girl, and this girl will be the forth one, he has already 3 girls and no boys and that was against his wish, he's waiting for a cock!! She told him that his wife has nothing to do with the sex of the boy, technically the man determines the baby's sex not the woman, and he was like: what? She replied, yes, you have the X and Y chromosomes and the woman has only X X, so you have the chromosome that's responsible of making the embryo male, and you didn't give it!! He shut the fuck up then started murmuring again. His wife was suffering in the delivery room and he was bitching her for not giving birth to a cock. What a man! Get a life, stupid backward! If I were her, I wouldn't stay a day with that turd! He's just heartless, though I know not all men are selfish or own such backward mentality.

We spent 3 days in the blood bank and that was enough to make me even more depressed and to be thankful to Allah for the bliss of health.

Now the microbiology lab, we had to train there for one week, we had a lot of surprises there that kept me from eating for a couple of days, our trainer there was a Philippine lady, she asked us to get closer. Closer, & CLOSER, she wanted to show us SOMETHING, what does this lady want to show us?! I caught my friend's face, it turned all red!! Then I had a closer look, it was…omg.. it was…..it was sputum!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! God please ;_; ,,YUCK, I swear to god that I was standing there forcing my self to keep the vomit back, I felt like vomiting, she was like: girls look look, it's thick a lil bit as she was shaking the sample's tube, omg, my stomach, we were trying to avoid looking at the samples, but no, she did give us the details of how it was like, thick?! Yuck!! YUCK!! I was like I'm going to pass out, really, my friend's face turned all red, she insisted on us to have a closer look to the tube, but none of us gave in to her demand lol,, I was gazing at everything but not the sample she was holding, so were my friends, at the wall, the door, the ceiling, at our shoes and the ground but not where the sample was put. Then she took us to another bench, and again, "girls, look at the sample we have" it was urine, urine is less disgusting than the sputum, at least I can bear looking at it. Ya Rabbi.

The next station was the serology+virlogy lab for one week, my two friends in the virology lab while I'm in the serology, and when we are done the process is switched, I should go the virology and they get back to the serology. Okay, I started in the serology lab; this is the most dangerous lab for the types of diseases that are diagnosed there, they deal with patients serums that could carry some dangerous infectious diseases. And also some urine samples again for pregnancy test. Hell. Anyways, there were 2 trainers, were kind & polite, they are Emiraties girls also. She showed me how to perform the pregnancy test, process was like, take the urine sample, okay, immerse a small strip in the sample and take it out quickly, and then leave it for 5 min in the air and then observe the result, if the strip goes blue, the result is +, if it's not then it's -, okay, a new sample arrives and now, I have to show what I've learned. I took the strip and immerse it in the urine for 5 min and waited for the result, she get back to me and asked me what I did, I told her that I didn't get any result, something went wrong may be, she noticed that I'm still having the strip inside the sample, she gasped "what are you doing? :O "..omg, what did I do? Then she laughed, she reminded me with the process again, I shouldn't have put the strip in the sample for 5 min, only dip it then take it out at the same moment, I said sorry I got it wrong this time, she was forcing herself to laugh but I could read her face expressions, from within she was like" God this gal is thick" LOL!!

Anyway, she (the trainer) was once dealing with a patient's serum sample, after she's done with it, she throw it away from a distance, but she missed it, instead of the trash can, I received a good amount of SERUM !!!! She smeared my clothes with serum!!! I felt like I'm gonna pass out, she shouted oh dear I'M SORRY; you should use the sanitizer now!! Sorry?? What would I do with your SORRY? Keep it in your pocket, I looked at her forcing a smile I give her a nod that it's okay don't worry, but inside, I was cursing her, STUPID, she must deal carefully with the samples, they might carry dangerous infectious microbes or even viruses, when I get back home I warned the maid to wash it separately and carefully, I should have given her my coat to wash it so she doesn't repeat this stupid mistake again. You're dealing with patients' samples not playing Javelin in 3 by 4 meters room, if I were the manager there, I think the first thing I'll do is to fire her, Careless!...but hey, she's so damn kind and nice, she bear with me a lot, truth must be said, but she needs a bit to be more careful, it isn't a game, I could catch the disease while the javelin's flying in the air, I mean the sample.…..and I don't want to end up being a patient in their hospital, esmellah 3alai!! God forbid! Anyways

The door of the lab was directly opposite to the corridor that leads to the donation room, so I can face anybody getting out of the donation room, there was a guy who keeps eyeing me up while walking along the corridor, gazing at me with a cute smile drawn on his face, he doesn't take his eyes away till he disappears and he keeps sending a shy smile along the way, lol, well, honestly, I didn't give a damn, though he was damn cute, god I'm only a trainee in here, later, I learned from my friend that he's working in the blood bank and he was on holiday when we were there few days ago, huh? So if we just stayed there few days longer, I would be with him in the same room face-to-face, phew! Thank God! And also we DISCOVERED that he is Muwatin, Emirate, LOL, my friend told me that when she was looking for the supervisor she found him and asked him about her, so she found out that he's Emiratie from his accent, and exactly from the northern Emirates according to his accent , I couldn't guess where he is from since he isn't wearing Kandoora for the fact he's working in a lab, at first I thought he's Jordanian or something like that. And his name is Majid, my fav comic when I was little. Yay! What a match!! LOL!
We spent one week in the serology lab, the next station was ….. The parasitology lab, double yuck, now!!!!

It means we are going to deal with ........ Stool, urine and semen!!! Anything but stool!!!!! ;_; not only are there stool sights, but also some nice looking long worms that one day they lived in someone's tummy, Yay!

And the disaster was that we had to spend ONE WEEK in this lab!! For Allah's sake, I'm ready to get back to Jean-Claude Van Damme or the Indian old man of the alien accent or even to stay in the blood bank and donate as many blood units as they wish
but not to stay surrounded by STOOL SAMPLES, I started loosing my nerves. we must do something to reduce the one week of horror to only 2 days, at least 3 days, I'll tell you later how we did escape from the parasites shop.


To be continued....

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL @ playing Javelin in 3 by 4 meters room.
~Bedouin Mathew.

Anonymous said...

"I took the strip and immerse it in the urine for 5 min"
HAHAHAHA! You're thicko indeed.
:P
~Bedouin Mathew.

Al-ain Rose said...

If you call me thicko again, I'm gonna send you there and let my friends there immerse your head in a basin of urine! Got that?
lol

Al-ain Rose said...

No,I will just send you to the old receptionist, she will do the job.

BuJ said...

wow, it's a LONG post but a beautiful blog :)
you have an excellent command of English, and yet I presume you are Arab?

scary i could never work in a lab that allows abayas and sheilas hahaha exactly coz there is a lot of gossips and kissing going on hahaha

BuJ said...

i gave blood a few months back.. i done it before and was ok.. anyway it took 7 min to draw the stuff they needed. i got back to my desk. drank a ton of water before and after.. but then started sweating and woke up with my 3gaal on the floor. passed out.. weird. dunno if i'll give blood again soon.

Anonymous said...

Come on! carry on! where are you rosie? how did you manage to escape? haha

~Bedouin Mathew.

Al-ain Rose said...

you have an excellent command of English, and yet I presume you are Arab?
هيه انا عرب هههه
surely I'm an Arab. From a well-known family in Al-ain.

scary i could never work in a lab that allows abayas and sheilas hahaha exactly coz there is a lot of gossips and kissing going on hahaha
...
LOL, yes, go to Al-ain municipality, omg, u will find lots of Mixecan series going on around there.

Al-ain Rose said...

drank a ton of water before and after.
..
God, that's wrong, you should've drunk Juice, they should've given you something contains SUGAR, not water; dumb is the one who did u the process, according to my humble experience there, juice is a part among other equipments in the donation rooms in hospitals.
Once you have your blood taken, the glucose in your body drops sharply & the blood circulation gets weaker, that makes you actually lose consciousness suddenly, so to restore the normal glucose level in your blood you need to drink something sugary like juice or honey directly before or after the process, not water, that's why u lost consciousness.
I've never donated blood, honestly, I get scared of the creepy big needle, it's way bigger than the ordinary shot needle, and I don't trust the mobile donation rooms, I heard it's not as safe as hospitals. I don't dare.
Though, blood donation is the most chivalrous behavior one can do in life, it's even more important than monetary donation, it's nothing like saving someone's life when they're in desperately need of blood.
I remember when I was at the donation room during my training; there were those who donate for their wives, relatives, or dear ones they know, but I still recall the statement of a Sudanese donor when the specialist asked him whom he was donating his blood for, a relative or a friend? He replied, I donate for Allah! Imagine, he comes every few months just to donate a unit of blood for anyone who may need blood; not for a particular person he knows or something, no, he dose it for Allah's sake, and without getting paid in return. I was impressed & got touched by his answer. I donate for Allah!
Once in the same hospital, a blood donation campaign was organized by the doctors in the hope to increase the number of blood units in the bank, & ridiculously, only one, I mean ONE, doctor (a woman) out of hundreds in the hospitals that took part in the campaign and donate, can you imagine? not only do you take Ajer when you donate, but also is a chance to have fresh blood cells which is healthy.
Our society is still not that aware of the importance of blood donation, people don't donate unless someone they know is in need, which is wrong.

BuJ said...

loooool love the bit about "from a well-known family"... nothing like good ole' Arabic pride!!! i really missed that in the UK.. and now getting to grips with how to deal with it :)

you know, i feel bad i don't belong to a tribe like proper bedoin arabs.. we just have a family name.. and it leaves a big gap in my passport.. i wanna have a tribe!! will your tribe take me in?

as for blood donation.. well i love it and i am proud to donate blood. i gave it b4 in the uk.. and it took maybe 25min to give the unit of blood (litre?) coz it was so cold and my veins were hidden! but in the uae, it took 7 min for the same bag to be filled!!! (i assume the bags are uniform).. funny though coz i am O+ it's a very common type.. they told me no need to give too much blood. but still i wanna do it when possible.

i know what u mean about glucose and i read a lot about blood stuff, i am also sometimes succeptible to hypertension when stressed.. so i drank 2 small bottles of juice 30 min before giving blood and 1 small bottle after.. i also drank about 1.5l of water.. but still suffered like this. mind u, i never had it in the uk..

anyway when i woke up i ordered a TON of suleimani and za3tar teas from the office boys.. like a TON.. of course they put a ton of sugar.. so i felt ok..

but when i got home i had the UAE's biggest headache. not nice at all ya rose.. not nice!

my dear... our young country is unfortunately a country of takers. we are consumers. we want the blackberry, we want the handbag, we want the merc, we want the house, the gov job etc..

we expect the hospital to have blood if we need it.. not realising it's the only thing almost that cannot be made!! we need to GIVE IT.. and that has a price. unfortunately if u do it right the price is low.. but u need to educate ppl about it.. and so far ppl have closed mentalities!

i was very proud at work that a lot of ppl went to give blood.. even the girls.. it was good.. they queued in the heat even. mashalla 3leihom.

i do't give blood to anyone in particular.. only to those who need it. and i trust the MOH to do that on my behalf. coz if i need blood la sama7 allah i want there to be my type out there.

i also tell the men that it's good to give blood every now and then. that's why women live more than men.. i won't bother to go into details but i think u should know exactly what i mean.

good day and ramadan kareem for tomorrow :)

Al-ain Rose said...

Hih Bu Jassem,
I'll be back to reply you in details, let me get done with the fatal horrible toothache I have. I'm barely able to open my eyes. I have alot to say.
Kle 3am O enta b7air.

BuJ said...

kul 3am wo inti bkheir ::)

salamat for the toothache, that's so not fun at all, but it's a good excuse not to fast.. and to go to the dentist and get it sorted.. remember (fa 3iddatun min ayyamin 2ukhar)

btw i'm still at the su7oor stage, it's 4am, but will remember your comment for iftar! btw, i usually have iftar + dinner in ramadan. iftar is just water, soup, dates then pray and chill.. dinner is 1 hour or more later and is a proper meal. otherwise my belly just explodes, even if i eat a tny tiny amount!

BuJ said...

PS: yalla will wait till you can open ur mouth without pain :)

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear you are in pain. but hey! how did you manage to escape!!!!
carry on!
~Bedouin Mathew!

Al-ain Rose said...

you know, i feel bad i don't belong to a tribe like proper bedoin arabs.. we just have a family name.. and it leaves a big gap in my passport.. i wanna have a tribe!! will your tribe take me in?
....

Heya Bu Jassem, as far as I know, you don't have to wait for someone to take you in, go to the court and add the tribe you would luv to belong to, easy peasy!
Your blood type is O positive? Wow you are generous; all blood types accept blood from an O+ donor, but the O+ bearer accept only from their types, you accept only O+, I carry B+, I take from B+ and O+ only. I have a higher chance to survive than you, lol. The O- is the rarest blood type, one of my friend's relative in Ras Al-Khaima was in need for blood of the O- type after a bad accident he had, imagine, they kept looking for donors who carry this type for 2 weeks until they eventually found TWO donors , only two, and they were from Dubai. Fortunately, he survived.
As for you not having this post-donation symptoms when you were at UK, perhaps your diet was different? Yemken here you fucked up your diet with Haress & Machboos wayed? lol
As for our country being a country of consumers, I believe and am sure that matters will not be the same forever; our society will change in the upcoming years, hopefully, to the better. Inshallah, especially about the culture of 3aib and haram, you know. I'm optimistic.


that's why women live more than men..

:O, goodness, men are even envious of girls' monthly curse ?? the most fucking annoying thing on earth. Why are men envious of it? Hummmmmmmmm.

BuJ said...

welcome again and glad ur feeling better :)

Might go to the courts.. sounds like fun.. Baniyas sounds like a good tribe :)

As for the blood type.. from what i understand as o+ I can give to any O type but can only receive from O+ (or -ve).. so i guess you're right, you have a higher chance of survival.

sadly when i gave blood for the first time in the uk they told me that my type was very common and i shouldn't bother to give blood frequently!!! i mean WTFF!!! someone comes to u with free blood and u say no need!

Sad story from RAK.. but u know my mom has O- and i know tis the hardest type to find ppl.. coz u can just take from O-.. anyway i think ppl should be tested for blood type and ppl like O- should be forced to give blood once ayear or something.


i think my diet in uae was better than the uk, because in the uk i was constantly losing weight, but here i am gaining it.. haha


ok that might not be an indication of type of diet rather than size of diet hahaha.. but it's so hard to control diet here.. i am trying.. no bread/rice coz it hurts me..

doing the 15min runs every evening helps.. oh well.. but i need more.. however it's harder to exercise in ramadan

Post a Comment

What you write reflects who you are, simply.